This looking glass reveals a landscape of fragments, facets, and folds.
• Robert Smithson’s Four-Sided Vortex is Narcissus’ worst nightmare. Looking down the fragmented mirror pieces, you can’t see your own reflection. If there is someone standing next to you, you’ll see theirs. It’s a space that destroys focal points and perspectives with each look down the rabbit hole.
• The MOCA Cleveland Building is a bit like Smithson’s Vortex turned inside out. The facade is covered with mirror-finish stainless steel, which reflects its surroundings and subtle changes of light and weather.
• The Donna Karan Pre-Fall 2013 Collection featured graphic, sculptural silhouettes with black-and-white prints that echoed the fluid rhythm of New York’s buildings.
• Timothy James’ Kinetic Ring is faceted sterling silver made using a combination of 3D printing and traditional casting.
• Alia’s Cuff is an architectural structure 3D printed in Polished Alumide, a light and flexible material with a bit of sparkle.
• Rachel Dhawan’s Ring has a chunky faceted form made of blackened sterling silver.
• Krista Peel’s Earrings suspend faceted wood from sterling silver wires.
• Rebecca Peacock’s Earrings form diamond structures from oxidized sterling silver.
• T.’s Necklace is a long faceted point made of bronze and hung from a silver chain.